I am a constant snacker. Snacking is extremely important to my happiness. If I miss snacktime, it is easy for me to transform from this:
I may exaggerate slightly.
(Edit: People keep asking me where I found those pictures…I drew them you silly minxes!)
But when my tummy starts a rumblin’ it’s difficult for me to concentrate on anything but food, and if my hunger is left for too long to fester, the ravenous hunger monster that lives inside of me will come out and eat everything in its sight. So yes, snacks are important.
I am not as strict in my snack regimen on the weekends because I’m usually out and busy and not thinking as much about food, but during the week I snack at about 10:30 am and 3:00 pm. Snacks also ensure that I don’t overeat at mealtimes (although I will probably embrace overeating at large family dinners ;)).
I don’t eat anything huge or elaborate for snacks, just enough to tide me over and give by bod a little nutrition.
Here is a list of my faves
- Greek yogurt (either vanilla or plain sweetened with honey) topped with any kind of fruit (this week it was strawberries and blueberries, last week was peaches and blueberries). Sometimes I also add in a small handful of honey nut or apple cinnamon Cheerios for some texture.
- Whole wheat tortilla topped with light cheddar cheese (or a cheese string), melted and folded over quesadilla-style. Sometimes I will also add a couple teaspoons of salsa to this to spice it up.
- Apple with nut butter (peanut, almond, Nutella, etc)
- Banana with nut butter
- Veggies and hummus
- Baby carrots
- Handful of trail mix and some fruit
- Whole wheat crackers with cheese
- Any sort of cheese (cheese string, Laughing Cow light, cottage cheese, Baby Bell)
Any of those will keep the hunger monster away until my next meal :).
Am I missing anything? What’s your favourite snack?