Happy St. Patrick’s Day!
For breakfast this morning I thought I would forgo the green beer (hey, I’m a grownup now) and celebrate with my very first green monster!
Green monsters are green smoothies blended with milk (or milk alternative), fruit, seeds, and SPINACH. Yes, spinach.
You can read more about the green monster movement here, but it is said that green monsters give you a noticeable increase in energy, with a decrease in cravings for sweets, as well as clearer skin and healthier hair and nails.
Sign me up!
I am actually pretty late getting on the green monster bandwagon…but I was late getting on the blog bandwagon also, so…oh well.
This morning I chose to make a Peppermint Patty Green Monster that I found on Oh She Glows‘ website (Angela of Oh She Glows is actually the original creator of the green monster, so I wanted an OG recipe for my first one!).
Here is the recipe:
Peppermint Patty Green Monster
Yield: 1 serving
- 1-1.5 large frozen banana (peel before freezing) – I used 1.5 bananas
- 1-1.25 cup non-dairy milk (almond, soy, hemp, rice, etc) – I used almond
- Handful of fresh mint leaves, stems removed
- 2 handfuls spinach
- 1/8-1/4 tsp peppermint extract (optional)
- 1-2 tbsp chopped dark chocolate, for garnish
1. Add in all of the ingredients except the chocolate into a blender and blend until smooth. Adjust to taste and serve with a garnish of chopped dark chocolate and mint leaves. Enjoy with a spoon. Serves 1.
Green monsters are required to look disgusting. This one actually doesn’t because it’s mint, so therefore supposed to be green.
I poured mine into a beer pint and started slurping it down!
Yum, yum and thrice YUM!!! This was so minty and fresh. And I promise you, I could not taste the spinach!
See? I had already drank some and I am still smiling.
To be honest, the only reason I have not tried a green monster earlier is because I am lazy and really dislike cleaning my blender. This was so good though and so worth the clean up.
I think I see a lot of green monsters in my future!
Now I will leave you with a few pics from last St. Patty’s Day from when I was in Calgary visiting my bestie Lisa, because it was basically the best night ever.
And my personal fave…